Sunday, February 15, 2009

Say It Ain't So Charlie!


Being the super nice and overly-indulgent Mama that I am, (ahem...occasionally), I let Amelie stay up extra late last night to partake of the Charlie Brown Valentine episodes that aired on tv.
I know personally how much I loved Charlie Brown Christmas and the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown and was so excited to be sharing this moment with my sweet girl!
Then it happened.
Every few minutes someone (usually Lucy) was calling someone (usually Charlie) stupid or dumb or saying, "I hate that old Charlie Brown."
It wasn't just once or twice--it was frequent and intense to Amelie's sensitive ears!
Amelie was soooo sad---"But Mommy!! Why are they so mean? Why do they say such bad words!?? Why isn't anyone giving that sad boy a Valentine's day card!?"
She was so disturbed and perturbed at the language they used and the gist of the story line. I was disturbed and perturbed by how mean everyone was to Charlie Brown!
Poor kid, he just couldn't catch a break!
So that settles it! No more Charlie Brown Valentine shows for us! Sheesh! Who knew?!

3 comments:

Devin said...

It is so, so funny that you mentioned this. I too loved Charlie Brown as a kid...and the other day, we checked out a book from the library--basically, the book form of the Valentine's movie.

Needless to say, I had to *ahem* start pre-reading before I actually read out loud to the boys for some of the 'name-calling' that was going on (which I really don't care about, but I didn't really want that to give the boys any ammo on that topic) and to ease some of the meanness of the story.

Lest they be tortured as to why Charlie didn't get a Valentine!

It may be awhile before we get any more Peanuts...I think they need to be a little older to appreciate the humor!

Good story :-)

Pamela said...

we watched the post-Christmas special.
two thumbs down for charlie brown.

we'll be waiting until they're older.

Julie said...

Isn't it weird how stuff that we loved when we were kids just seems so mean now?

So sweet how Miss A was rooting for Charlie Brown! She sounds like such a tender-hearted little soul.