Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Education Motivation

Amelie has been on a letter/sound kick lately and has been grilling me on how everything

(and I mean everything)

is spelled, what sounds letters make, how to write letters/words etc.

So...I've decided to capitalize on her language interest and invested in a few stacks of flash cards.

We've been working with these really fun and inexpensive ($3) cards from Target and are having a blast with numbers and letter sounds/recognition.
What I really wanted was this fun alphabet letter set from Target/Parents Toys but now that I want it, it's out of stock and only available on ebay for $25! meh!
I'm totally a lazy parent about things like this but knowing she is so interested in learning is exciting! I've always loved learning--it's most of the reason I became a teacher--and it's so cool to see that mirrored in her!
This stuff is so fun--I think our budget would be in big trouble if I started homeschooling her--I have a hard time resisting this stuff!

5 comments:

JerseyGranny said...

She is very curious about stuff. When we bake, she is very alert to the measurments we are using.

Devin said...

Time for totally non-asked-for advice:

Colin is the same way. I invested in the Leap Frog video the Letter Factory--it teaches every letter and it's sound.

My 3 and my 2 year old love watching it as well, and all three of the boys now can name every letter and say it's sound...and they've probably watched the video a total of 8-10 times over a couple of months! It is such a cute video, and they have others in the series. It's not like I don't work with him constantly as well, but I do credit that video for helping him learn phonics and figure out how to put letters together!

I'm not a giant fan of TV/videos or plunking kids down in front of them, but this is definitely the exception (oh, and veggies, of course). They are really enjoying what they are watching and learning tons at the same time!

Food for thought!

Sheri said...

way to go A! Sammy has that letter one- he got it for his birthday- its is pretty neat- but sounds like your flashcards are doing just great!

Erica said...

We have the parents magazine letters...in my opinion, they are not the greatest...I taught second grade for 6 years...they don't easily stick to the fridge and overall, just not that great...Look into the Leap Frog word whammer...that is more interactive and will sound out 3 or four letter words as well as saying individual sounds like the fridge phonics does.

Julie said...

We have the fridge phonics thing, and my girls love that. (I, however, am a little tired of the songs...but that's a whole 'nother story)

Those Parents flash cards look nice, but I have found (at least in my experience) that just about anything with a flap will promptly become flap-less. My kids always rip those kind of books/toys up.

As long as she's happy and learning with the "cheap" cards, just go for it!