Wednesday, December 31, 2008
Tuesday, December 30, 2008
My sweet Amelie Rose,
Monday, December 29, 2008
Sunday, December 28, 2008
My parents (of the north) and Steven's (of the east), and Uncle Jon and Aunt Ali came to a mini-family celebration of Amelie's 4th year!
She went a little insane from all of the presents, sugar and sheer joy of having two sets of Grandparents in one room--however, she did calm down and go to bed well so this Mama is happy = )
Thank you family for being here to celebrate with us!
We love you and Amelie (and Maeve) love(s) her/their new presents!
Friday, December 26, 2008
Thursday, December 25, 2008
Wednesday, December 24, 2008
Pictured below, the young and carefree version of the future Mr. and Mrs. Wonderful:
Tuesday, December 23, 2008
2. Post that picture with NO editing.
3. Post these instructions with your picture.
4. Tag 10 people to do this!
I had planned on putting it together today (since Amelie will be with Daddy at a special Christmas banquet), however, due to the myriad of horrible reviews on the bike, such as:
Reviewer: R. Julka
really cute bike but HORRIBLE to assemble. The instructions are for a variety of models and are not specific at all with little or no functional instructions. I've assembled various bicylces, wagons, ride-ons, etc. and this by far is the most difficult to assemble. Plus you need a metric allen wrench which is NOT included. And to add insult to injury, the box says that its "easy to assemble" which in my experience is just a big lie.
Seriously, that girl of mine is having like the best Christmas ever--Princess bike from us and her Grandparents of the North (with the help of Grandparents of the East), and 2 bigger-than-Amelie packages arrived from the Granny of the South including: Barbie computer, keyboard, jewelry box, DIAMOND necklace (um, hello? where's mine!), gold locket necklace and LIFE SIZE barbie dressed in a Princess costume for Amelie. She has all this and it's not even Christmas yet! I think next year she's going to need a pony to top this! ha! Praise the Lord for generous, loving, fun, family!
Monday, December 22, 2008
Sunday, December 21, 2008
1. colin firth
2. hugh grant
3. johnny depp
4. emma thompson
5. toni collette
6. matthew macfayden
7. drew barrymore
My 7 favorite movies:
1. Pride and Prejudice
2. Love Actually
3. Moulin Rouge
4. Charlie's Angels (all)
5. Sense and Sensibility
6. Princess Bride
My 7 favorite tv shows:
1. Gilmore Girls
3. Pushing Daisies
5. The Soup/The Dish
6. How It's Made
7. Dirty Jobs
My 7 favorite musicians:
1. Mr. Wonderful
2. Harry Connick Jr.
3. Dolly Parton
4. Billy Holiday
5. Mariah Carey
My 7 favorite things to read:
1. The Bible
2. Anna Karenina esp, but anything Tolstoy
3. anything Gail Carson Levin
4. anything C S Lewis
6. anything Jane Austen
7. pretty glossy magazines
My 7 favorite stores:
3. Barnes and Noble
4. Gymboree/Baby Gap
5. Old Navy
7. Lakeshore Learning Store
My 7 favorite flowers:
1. lilacs, so much love
3. roses (esp. the pretty purple-y silvery ones)
6. holly hocks
My 7 favorite indulgences:
1. uninterrupted time with my husband
3. editing pictures
5. baking and eating chocolate cake/cheesecake/cookies
6. long days at home with my babies/dressing them in fabulous/fun outfits
7. mocha coffee with whipped cream
My 7 Goals for the Future:
1. Love Jesus more
2. Be a more fabulous wife/mother
3. Have two...
4. ...more babies
5. Finish my Masters degree in Library Science
6. Become a better photographer
7. Get a haircut
Friday, December 19, 2008
Thursday, December 18, 2008
*Amelie had her cubbies christmas caroling concert (say that five times fast) last night--Sadly, I had to miss it because the Maevenator goes to bed at 6 (and I couldn't see waking her up at 8:00 pm to take her out in the freezing cold). I was sad but Mr. Wonderful video-taped it, so I'll post it later.
*I kind of wish the weather would make up its mind. It's cold today. I like it when the weather makes up it's mind to be 60 and sunny during the month of December. Right?!
*Mr. Wonderful's marvelous Christmas Concert is tonight and I'm so thankful that my MIL is coming to watch the Beacon so that I can enjoy it with my Amelie girl--I'm so excited!!!!!
And now for a little soap-box action:
*I read this really annoying article today about how the writer believed that Twilight was, "..merely teen absintence propaganda..." and should be avoided at all costs. My theory is, the only people who are against abstinence in teens are people who either: a. feel guilty that they don't/won't abstain from sex b. wish they had done so. And honestly, what benefit does sex have for teenagers that we need to encourage them so to partake? What's the problem with the existence of one movie that doesn't focus on teen sex? It really annoyed me. I always find it interesting when people are seriously threatened by morality and a little sad. End soapbox.
*I need a haircut. OH MY do I ever! We're reaching critical mass over here.
*Buying Christmas presents for your extended family just isn't as fun when you can only afford to spend $5 on everyone. Mer.
*Christmas break is next week and I can't wait to have my husband home for 11 days. Awesome.
*It's also official, I'm disabling anonymous comments--I kept them around for a long time b/c sometimes people just don't have an account and I want them to be able to comment without having one but, enough is enough. I am done reading passive aggressive, ill-informed, so-wrong-in-so-manyways-that-i-don't-have-the-strength-to-right-the-wrongs comments etc. I find anonymous commenting is used mainly by snarky people who don't have the self confidence to back up their own personal beliefs with a real name. I'm so over it. Sorry if you are a valid anonymous commenter (like my mr. wonderful!), it's super easy to create a google screen name, so please do so, because I love hearing what you have to say.
Happy Thursday! Where do the weeks go?
Wednesday, December 17, 2008
- Mr. Wonderful was born December 17, 1976
- In South Jersey
- He has the most siblings of any only child I've ever known:
- 1 half sister
- 2 half brothers
- 11 step brothers and step sisters
- When he was little his hair was very light brown/blondish; it is now very dark brown/blackish
- He's worn glasses even longer than I have (and I started at the end of 1st grade)
- We are nearly equally blind. Super blind. Like bats but without helpful radar. He is slightly blind-er.
- He skipped a grade in elementary school. He's smart like that.
- He plays piano and clarinet--but mostly piano.
- He is a board game playing genius. Unbeatable.
- Mr. Wonderful is a fountain of tv/movie/music related trivia/knowledge. He has the kind of mind that remembers everything he has seen/read/watched (although this ability does not translate to remembering to change the oil or things like that)
- He attended 3 different schools and graduated from the one where he currently teaches (and has been teaching for 9 years)
- He went to Cedarville, where we met (in 1997); which was obviously the most important meeting of his life. Ha!
- He graduated with Majors in Piano Performance/Pedagogy, even though he started out as a Math major.
- He paid his own way through school--and on his own, through his own hard work and determination paid it all off a few months after he graduated. We are still paying my college debt--b/c I would rather have had fun than worked. Lesson Learned. =)
- He never does anything for himself and spends all his time, effort and energy on others
- Especially on me and his babies.
- He is the most loving helpful father/husband around. He always knows exactly what I need and supports me perfectly.
- He cleans my house and vacuums and dusts and whatever I ask and never complains about anything ever. He is an excellent example to me.
- He loves watching tv in his 5 minutes of free time everyday. His favorite shows currently are Prison Break and Hell's Kitchen--but he'll watch whatever I want, every time, without complaining--like the Discovery Channel or PBS. Poor guy.
- He is an amazing father who spends all of his time inventing games to play with the girls--he rocks. Seriously. I'm so proud of the father he has become.
- His parents did an excellent job raising him. We love them all!
- The Wonderful family makes me happy--they are fun to be around, I'm glad we live in the same state as them--it is a blessing!
- Mr. Wonderful recently earned his Masters In Music Education from Boston University and wishes to be a college level Music Theory teacher. Easier said than done. We're praying that God opens up some doors for us.
- His school is 2/3 of a mile down the road. We visit him almost every day. It is awesome.
- When he is home he walks around holding Maeve, he hates to put her down b/c he loves her so much. It makes my heart burst. He loves Amelie too--but you try walking around with a 35 pound toddler for more than 30 seconds, it's hard =)
- He teaches millions of piano lessons a week to provide for us--it's not easy, but he is always willing to do whatever he needs for the good of our family.
- He has excellent fashion sense and doesn't need any help from me to look put together and handsome every day.
- His only fault is that he won't let me faux-hawk his hair every day. Oh well, no one's perfect.
- He's perfect.
The End. =)
Tuesday, December 16, 2008
The wonderful thing about blog-land is having the privilege to meet so many wonderful people, to hear their stories and to pray for them.
Take a moment from you day and click below and visit this sweet family's link and say a prayer for healing for their little premature baby girl.
Monday, December 15, 2008
They were always making the most random gestures. Gotta love preschoolers!
I'm so glad Amelie and Hannah are in the same Sunday School class--they're 2 months apart in age and have spent a whole lotta time together since they were wee babies.
Sunday, December 14, 2008
Saturday, December 13, 2008
4. O Holy Night I love this song, and usually any artist who attempts it has a good enough voice for me to enjoy their rendition, but Mariah Carey's is probably my favorite.
3. Avalon's Christmas Album Avalon is a Christian group with excellent harmony and voices that don't make my ears bleed (and they actually sound good live too which is more than most groups today can say!).
2. Mariah Carey's Christmas Album She is an excellent song writer and wrote some of my favorite modern/original Christmas music like All I Want For Christmas Is You; Jesus, Born on This Day. I also love her rendition of O Holy Night and Santa Claus is Comin' To Town.
1. Kenny Rogers/Dolly Parton's Christmas Album will forever be my number 1, because nothing reminds me more of my Grandmother than this album. I heart it and it's tunes chock full of bittersweet memories. I liked this album before I liked Country music b/c my Grandmother's love of it was absolutely infectious and I couldn't resist it. My favorite songs are Winter Wonderland, Once Upon A Christmas and Hard Candy Christmas. This is a hard core country album, not for the faint of heart =)
Friday, December 12, 2008
* Dressed, fed, combed, cuddled everyone and prepared Amelie for her day o fun with Granny
* Situated Amelie's carseat in Granny's car, waved goodbye and headed out for errands with Maeve
* Did the laundry. Mer.
* Bought odds and ends at Target
* Finished up Amelie's Christmas shopping at the mall--yay for the Disney Store and everything being 50% off!
* Fed the baby and entertained her while simultaneously cleaning, scrubbing, washing, the entire house, including: the stove top/burner covers (bleck), all the tile in the bathroom, and other misc. annoying/gross jobs.
*Tried to take a speed shower while the girls were watching Sesame Street and was being SO super speedy that I turned the water on while my clothes WERE STILL ON! I have never done that before, and don't plan on doing it again soon--rather counterproductive.
*Had everyone dressed, fed, combed and cuddled again so that we could go get Mr. Wonderful's Christmas presents and eat dinner as a family.
*Boo to the husband-less weekend facing us--he'll be gone nearly all of Saturday and most of Sunday as well.
*Yay to one full week of school before Christmas break! Can I get a woot woot?!!
*And finally, DOUBLE yay for 7 o'clock bedtime for the nap-less girls in the Wonder household!
1. No one may ever sing any song. Ever. Amelie wants to learn the words and having Mama or Daddy sing the words only interferes in the process.
2. No humming, whistling, or quiet singing under your breath, either.
3. You will only be allowed to sing, sometimes, your "favorite song" which is a song pre-determined by Amelie (note, not your actual favorite song)
4. You may never turn off the radio in the middle of a Christmas song.
5. You may never turn the channel on the radio, even if you're changing to another all-christmas-music-all-the-time station. Just 'cause.
So now that you've got the rules straight, here are the songs Amelie has decided are all of our favorite songs:
Amelie: Jingle Bell Rock, only the older version by Billy somebody or Bobby somebody--no new version is acceptable.
Mr. Wonderful: All I Want For Christmas Is You, by Mariah Carey. This is alarmingly close to the mark, Mr. Wonderful hearts Mariah, in a big way.
Shelly: Feliz Navidad, Um, seriously, I've asked for a new favorite song but this is the only one she'll let me have. Apparently I made the mistake of singing this one a little too enthusiastically a few weeks ago and I've been branded with it ever since.
Thursday, December 11, 2008
5. I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus By Anyone
(The Jackson 5 version is on a lot, and I don't have a problem with that--just the fact that the kid can't wait to fire up his father by telling on his mother's illicit affair with Santa. I know it's supposed to be ironic and I'm sure I'm the only one, but it just irks me).
4. Winter Wonderland By The Eurythmics/Annie Lennox
(Don't get me wrong my peeps, I love Winter Wonderland, I heart it even, but this version is utterly depressing! It's more like a funeral dirge than a Christmas Carol. OY!)
3. 8 Days Of Christmas by Destiny's Child
(I remember being so excited to get their Christmas cd and then Mr. Wonderful and I popped it in the player and were utterly horrified that anyone spent money on this project. Take my word for it, DO NOT buy this cd. My favorite part of all is where Beyonce takes a writing credit for the lyrics to SILENT NIGHT!! What the?!?)
2. Santa Clause Is Coming To Town By Bruce Spingstein
(I don't really have a problem with this song--just the screachy, screamy rendition. It makes my ears bleed. Literally)
1. Do They Know It's Christmas? By Band Aid
(Holy Crap, this is the mother of all annoying christmas songs--it annoys me so much, I don't even know where to start in dissecting it's annoying-ness. And it is on ALL the time...)