Thursday, December 11, 2008

Baby Sign Language Is Cool


I've been lazily, slowly teaching the Maevenator a bit of baby sign language.

She picks up new signs almost instantly

(if only she were lucky enough to have a Mama who were super disciplined and learned new signs herself to teach her child, she would probably know a lot more)

I've taught her all done, more, eat/hungry, drink, cracker.

(Knowledge of sign language relating to carbs is super important in this house!)

The other day I got her up from her nonexistent afternoon nap and she was furiously signing

EAT EAT EAT

And it made me happy that I knew exactly what she wanted.

And that is why baby sign language is cool.

The End.

6 comments:

Julie said...

I totally LOVE baby sign language!! We do it here - although I don't know many signs either. The girls can both voice what they want, but it's just so darn cute to see them sign it, too!!

Anonymous said...

it is pretty cool! one of the families i babysit for does it with their kids and they've taught me some...plus its so cute when the kids do it! haha please and more are my favorites :)

Anonymous said...

We do it, too. I am also an undisciplined Mama, so my kiddo doesn't know as much as I would like her to. It is my goal to sit down with her over Christmas break, and watch her Baby Einstein signing video. It's so fun!! :o)

B

Sheri said...

I totally agree- as the mom of a kid who didn't even have a word approximation till 2 years of age, I found sign VERY helpful- even if it just took the adge off out in public!!

Fun fun!:)

Anonymous said...

I am a "super-disciplined" mom you loves learning and teaching my daughter sign language. It was and still is so helpful. I found that having a pocket sized sign language dictionary in my purse or her diaper bag was helpful for looking up a sign when we needed it. For example, DEER and SQUIRREL and CAKE. You might not think to learn them until you needed them.

brittanielovessparky said...

I agree! Baby sign language is the coolest! But if you're having trouble finding the time to learn it on your own you should get hooked up with online classes. The pocket dictionary is also a brilliant idea but I have found that going to MindBites.com and watching the baby sign language videos here http://www.mindbites.com/person/84-MySmartHands really helped my knowledge of the subject. I loved learning from the author and can't wait for her to post more.