Saturday, December 13, 2008

Shelly's Favorite Christmas Songs

So here's a list of 5 of my favorite-ish Christmas songs/Christmas albums because I had a hard time narrowing it down.
5. I want a hippopotamus for Christmas I have no idea who sings this, I ought to look it up--I only heard it for the first time 3 years ago, and I think it's stinkin' hilarious. There's also a song about a Christmas donkey that makes me laugh too. Good stuff.
4. O Holy Night I love this song, and usually any artist who attempts it has a good enough voice for me to enjoy their rendition, but Mariah Carey's is probably my favorite.
3. Avalon's Christmas Album Avalon is a Christian group with excellent harmony and voices that don't make my ears bleed (and they actually sound good live too which is more than most groups today can say!).
2. Mariah Carey's Christmas Album She is an excellent song writer and wrote some of my favorite modern/original Christmas music like All I Want For Christmas Is You; Jesus, Born on This Day. I also love her rendition of O Holy Night and Santa Claus is Comin' To Town.
1. Kenny Rogers/Dolly Parton's Christmas Album will forever be my number 1, because nothing reminds me more of my Grandmother than this album. I heart it and it's tunes chock full of bittersweet memories. I liked this album before I liked Country music b/c my Grandmother's love of it was absolutely infectious and I couldn't resist it. My favorite songs are Winter Wonderland, Once Upon A Christmas and Hard Candy Christmas. This is a hard core country album, not for the faint of heart =)

5 comments:

Sarah - Roots and Wings said...

Domenic the Italian Christmas Donkey! That song cracks me up!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQrdxtWgHbE

Jiggity Jig!

Have you heard David Phelps singing Oh Holy Night? Mariah might as well go hide under a rock! ;) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZFxG6-WSnI

DeeMarie said...

Definitely google the little girl who sang a Hippo For Christmas. I think her name is Darla or something to that effect. It's a cute story - how it came about.

Anonymous said...

I also enjoy O Holy Night, especially on the flute.

Ree said...

I have Mariah's Christmas CD, as well and LOVE it!! Those kiddie songs are a fav around here too!
BTW, Dolly's Hard Candy Christmas is great!!

Unknown said...

I want a Hippo for Christmas is sung by Gayla Peevey. I am torn between being happy that I was the first to let you know that, and a "little" embarassed that I don't remember half of the stuff we learned in college, but that nugget o' knowledge is firmly entrenched in my brain. . .