Thursday, December 11, 2008

Truth Be Told; Christmas Confessions; Sometimes My Ears Bleed When I Listen To The Radio

You know, I've been listening to Christmas music since the last week of October.
I can't help it--it just makes me happy!
(And merely listening to it for the 3.5 weeks in December before Christmas doesn't seem like quite enough for me anyways)
The problem is that, well, there just aren't that many different Christmas songs out there.
After a few hours of listening you can hear Winter Wonderland by 5 different artists, you know?I've had quite enough of a few songs, and I just thought I'd share, because, you know, that's what I do.
Shelly's Least Favorite Christmas Songs

5. I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus By Anyone

(The Jackson 5 version is on a lot, and I don't have a problem with that--just the fact that the kid can't wait to fire up his father by telling on his mother's illicit affair with Santa. I know it's supposed to be ironic and I'm sure I'm the only one, but it just irks me).


4. Winter Wonderland By The Eurythmics/Annie Lennox

(Don't get me wrong my peeps, I love Winter Wonderland, I heart it even, but this version is utterly depressing! It's more like a funeral dirge than a Christmas Carol. OY!)


3. 8 Days Of Christmas by Destiny's Child

(I remember being so excited to get their Christmas cd and then Mr. Wonderful and I popped it in the player and were utterly horrified that anyone spent money on this project. Take my word for it, DO NOT buy this cd. My favorite part of all is where Beyonce takes a writing credit for the lyrics to SILENT NIGHT!! What the?!?)


2. Santa Clause Is Coming To Town By Bruce Spingstein

(I don't really have a problem with this song--just the screachy, screamy rendition. It makes my ears bleed. Literally)


1. Do They Know It's Christmas? By Band Aid

(Holy Crap, this is the mother of all annoying christmas songs--it annoys me so much, I don't even know where to start in dissecting it's annoying-ness. And it is on ALL the time...)


Do you have a least favorite that didn't make the list?
Do tell!
{Tomorrow I'll be all nice-like and list my favorite ones.}

14 comments:

Brie Latini said...

Well, I really, really hate that Christmas song by Paul McCartney, the one about "Siiiiimply, haaaving, a wonderful Christmastime!" And yes, your Jewish friend is totally chiming in on this one, LOL!!!!

Shelly said...

ooo brie--that def. makes my top 10 least fav! ack!
and you totally should chime in, because Jewish or not, you are still subjected to the same awful Christmas crap the rest of us are! ha!

Julie said...

That stupid heavy metal instrumental of "Carol of the Bells" I can't stand that one.

Also, any version of "You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch" by anyone OTHER than Thurl Ravenscroft, but especially the one by Brian Setzer. The Amy Mann version stinks big time, too.

Actually, now that I think about it, there's lots of Christmas songs I don't like. But there's lots that I do like too...

I'll just stop talking (typing) now.

Pamela said...

I am really in love with the Rat Pack era Christmas songs...Bing Crosby, Rosemary Clooney, all those peeps whose names are not coming to my mind right now.

I am really not in love with Christmas music that's been recorded in the past twenty years or so. This includes Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer.

And I like how you spelled Destiny's Child like Desitin. That record is butt cream for sure.

A Jersey Girl said...

Oh Shelly,
You will NEVER be a Jersey Girl with your digs at Bruce!! Good thing you call upstate NY home:)

Shelly said...

ack! i'm so bad at checking my spelling--that record is for sure, BUTT cream though!

Anonymous said...

My two favorites are Silver Bells and Oh Holy Night. I can't get enough of these two!


B

Sarah - Roots and Wings said...

I totally agree about most, especially "Do They Know It's Christmas. How can they NOT know when we hear this song ALL day long?! However, my LEAST favorite Christmas song is George Michael's "Last Christmas." It's dreadful!

Anonymous said...

OK, so no one will agree with me, but I can't stand the fact that Kelly Clarkson took the wonderfully simplistic "Grown Up Christmas List" by Amy Grant and decided to redo it complete with screeching, scooping, and riffing ridiculousness on the final chorus. If you need a reminder, listen to the last chorus when she sings "and time would heal al--lll HHHHHEEEEEEEEEEARRRRRRRTTTTTTS. Kelly, it's called subtlety.
And I also agree with everyone else on this list. O Holy Night is an amazing song, but Last Christmas will NEVER be cool.
-SJW

JerseyGranny said...

Shelly,
I totally agree with all that you said except maybe the Eurythmics Winter Wonderland...I do kinda like that one. BUT, I detest hearing the same songs be 12 different artists...constantly!

Anonymous, I do agree with you! Kelly butchered that song big time!

JerseyGranny said...

Shelly,
I totally agree with all that you said except maybe the Eurythmics Winter Wonderland...I do kinda like that one. BUT, I detest hearing the same songs be 12 different artists...constantly!

Anonymous, I do agree with you! Kelly butchered that song big time!

JerseyGranny said...

I just realized...is the last Anonymous related to me?

Shelly said...

yes granny,
anon. was none other that boy #2, also known as mr. wonderful =)

DeeMarie said...

Have to add my two cents..
I'm not too fond of that song by The Waitresses.. something about Cranberries, ... ... ...

And, "anonymous", nope - I don't think anyone can do Grown-Up Christmas List like Amy Grant. That's my fav is I must choose between that and Mariah's All I want...