Friday, December 12, 2008

Amelie Says

Amelie's head is full of big, little, silly, weird, interesting ideas;
--Which she agrees with/believes WHOLE-heartedly--no matter how strange they are--
She has....ahem, decided, our favorite Christmas songs for us, but before I share the favorite songs I'll share the Christmas song rules according to Amelie.
Amelie's Christmas Song Rules
1. No one may ever sing any song. Ever. Amelie wants to learn the words and having Mama or Daddy sing the words only interferes in the process.
2. No humming, whistling, or quiet singing under your breath, either.
3. You will only be allowed to sing, sometimes, your "favorite song" which is a song pre-determined by Amelie (note, not your actual favorite song)
4. You may never turn off the radio in the middle of a Christmas song.
5. You may never turn the channel on the radio, even if you're changing to another all-christmas-music-all-the-time station. Just 'cause.

So now that you've got the rules straight, here are the songs Amelie has decided are all of our favorite songs:

Amelie: Jingle Bell Rock, only the older version by Billy somebody or Bobby somebody--no new version is acceptable.

Mr. Wonderful: All I Want For Christmas Is You, by Mariah Carey. This is alarmingly close to the mark, Mr. Wonderful hearts Mariah, in a big way.

Shelly: Feliz Navidad, Um, seriously, I've asked for a new favorite song but this is the only one she'll let me have. Apparently I made the mistake of singing this one a little too enthusiastically a few weeks ago and I've been branded with it ever since.

So, to this I say, Felize Navidad from the bottom of my heart!

4 comments:

Julie said...

I thought of your list of Christmas songs this morning when I was driving the big kids to the bus stop.

This song started - to the tune of the Carol of the Bells...but it was farm animals. You know, cows, chickens, sheep...each making their signature sound to the tune of the song. I laughed and said to the kids, "WOW, I wonder how they got the animals to "sing" the right notes at the right time??" (you know, because I am a comedic genius and all...LOL)

Then, right near the end of the song, you hear the sound of a newborn baby crying. So I said, I wonder if that's what it sounded like in the stable when Jesus was born...and then it hit me. I wonder if that WAS what it was like.

I mean, obviously the animals wouldn't be "singing", but were they all making their individual sounds, and then the cry of our Lord, newly born into our world in the flesh, broke through the noise?

Do you think the animals knew it was Him?

Shelly said...

i wonder? i would like to think so.

Pamela said...

Of course they knew it was him. How could they not?

SarahV said...

amelie's rules are pretty identical to judds. we're never, ever allowed to sing along when he is singing.

and feliz navidad to you too :)