Friday, February 15, 2008

Awkward Moments Define My Life: College Years

Time for the next installment of Awkward Moments--I had actually forgotten (repressed) this one until this morning when it popped into my head while I was exercising!

So, Cedarville was a strange new land and I was a gregarious, overly-confident, adventure seeking freshman with purple hair and a new freedom away from home. During my freshmand year I remember running up and down the sidewalks with my friends singing songs loudly and skipping (little did I know I would see those people the next year and think disdainfully, "urgh, freshman!"). We did everything and lived every second to the fullest! We were so totally not going to miss out on the big event of the winter quarter--T.W.I.R.P. week. T.W.I.R.P. = The Woman Is Required To Pay--this is supremely important b/c that means the GIRLS had the right to ask out the BOYS--it was a school sanctioned event!! And believe me, in a Christian school with a bunch of scared boys you HAD to ask a boy out to get a date (or so I thought =-).

My friends and I spent HOURS planning who we would ask! We went through the pictures online of all the boys at school, thought about the boys in our classes...the boys on the sidewalks, the boys in town--just boys in general until we came up with our list:
Patty was going to ask Jason Malone (THE head student pastor and BIG stuff on campus)
Rachel was going to ask Greg Fleury (a cute boy who lived in the same dorm as our friend John)
Diane was going to ask...well, I can't recall who she was going to ask--but believe me, she was going to ask someone--that Diane LOVED her some boys!!
Michelle was going to ask Eric (I don't know his name).

Oh. My. Word. I was 18, fresh off the farm and thought he was sooooooooo dreamy. It didn't matter that we didn't have classes together, we had never formally met and he had NO idea who I was. I knew who he was and that was ALL the mattered =)

So, we asked out the boys with varying results--Patty didn't get the date with Jason (he had a girlfriend), Rachel god the date with Greg but we had to double with some boy whose name I don't remember--we dressed like twins--it was SUCH a disaster!! Diane asked her boy and didn't get the date and with this blazing track record I decided to call my boy.

However, I didn't have the guts.

So, being the good friend that she was, Diane decided she would intervene and called this boy for me, pretending to be me and asked him out!!!! Well, later that day she came and told me what she did and what he said (no!) and I figured that was the end of it. It wasn't....

Fast forward 2 years!

I was sitting at the lunch table with my friend Jenny Lynn and she took me to sit with her music friends. Sitting at the table of music friends was the boy who was roommates with Eric during my disastourous twirp invite. Worse still, he KNEW who I was! Apparently they had looked up my picture when Diane called pretending to be me and found out who the crazy girl who asks out complete strangers was. He remembered this and started to grill my IN FRONT of my friends about why I asked Eric out etc...

I was MORTIFIED! I told him all about how it was Diane but he didn't believe me! He kept saying, stop lying! You know you did it! This went on foreverrrrrrrrrr--like for an hour until I got up and left the lunch table! From then on everytime he saw me on campus he would laugh at me! It was humiliating! Now everyone kenw my dirty little twirp secret. Urgh.

Oh. My. Word. I so totally never asked out (or had a friend ask out) a boy like ever again.

3 comments:

Madre said...

what a traumatic event! isn't it awful how people can torture you - especially in front of others!

charmed1 said...

Aren't you glad you had friends like that? :)

Anonymous said...

Oh my. My freshman TWIRP experience was much better. We got along well with our sister unit, and we were having an event during TWIRP week and I stood up and said, "hey girls, if you want to start TWIRPING us, we're here!" Yes, I had a whatever girlfriend at another school who I had no intention of cheating upon, but I was just interested in getting some free food. The next day, the sister unit RA asked me out as a joke, but I held her to it, and we got milkshakes at Mom and Dads. Don't worry, I was up front about the date, and the girlfriend, to all parties. (I even married that wonderful girlfriend 3 years later).