Monday, February 25, 2008

Hay Bales to Highways Chapter 4

When we last left our story S and I had gone our separate ways and had only shared a few passing "hellos" and "goodbyes" on campus. My sophomore year I started working on Saturday mornings at the dining hall scanning students in to eat. One of the highlights of my mornings was scanning in S who never missed the ever famous Cedarville biscuits and sausage brunch (like so totally gross! gravy and sausage? for breakfast?!?). He would come on those mornings with his roommate Josh who told S later on that he "knew" something was "there" between us--it must have been in the "special" way I scanned S's i.d. card! Ha!

I had been in "like" all year with a friend-boy and had gone on dates but it never amounted to anything and I distinctly remember lounging in my dorm room with my friend Rachel and comiserating about our single status, "If I don't start dating someone soon I won't get married at the end of my senior year!" (Cause, THAT would have been the end of the world!) "The only person I even know who I could possibly see myself dating or marrying is S but I think he's dating someone else...." (See, S--I TOLD you that I always loved you!).

Spring quarter finally came and my friend Sarah, S and I all started taking a class called God and History. We weren't in the same section but it turned out that our schedules worked out in such as way so that we could eat lunch together and sometimes S would even CHOOSE to sit next to me *gasp*! I was so silly back in those days--goodness knows my cheeks are red just thinking about it!

It came to be time for finals and Sarah asked me to join her and S at a local ice cream place called Young's to study for our exam. Sarah was dating a boy who she spent a lot of time with and at the last second told me I was on my own to study with Steven! I couldn't believe it! I told her there was NO way that he would just want to study with me if Sarah weren't there and then I begged her to change her mind and come! She didn't and I'm so glad for it!

S picked me up in his car *gasp* and took me to Young's where he bought me ice cream *gasp* and we studied. My husband always had the best sense of humor and kept me laughing all night (and he still keeps me laughing all the time!). After we studied he asked me to play mini golf *gasp* with him and we had a fabulous time where I totally beat him, although, I'm sure he will deny this ever happened or say that he LET me win.

We got into his car and headed back to campus talking about anything and everything and all the while I was thinking how much I liked him and that it was a shame he was graduating this year and that I wouldn't see him anymore and that there wasn't much of a future for our friendship. Little did I know he was going to stick around a bit longer....

2 comments:

Ree said...

You are great at the clffhangers!!!

charmed1 said...

How romantic! You sound so cute telling your story!