Sunday, February 17, 2008

What do YOU think?

Today in Sunday School we were learning about Evangelism and watched the most interesting video that dealt with ways in which we share our faith with others. I think a lot of time I approach sharing my faith by living a certain way, interacting with others a certain way and waiting for a door to open to tell them why I live the way I do. However, if you look at the Bible Jesus didn't wait around for people to become His friends before sharing His faith--He shared the truth without looking to be comfortable while doing it.

So many people think of themselves as "good" people. They compare themselves to others and think--well, I"ve never done something THAT bad so I must be good. However, If you look at the 10 commandments--something almost everyone has heard of--you can illustrate how everyone has sinned. The Bible says that liars, theives and adulturers will end up in the lake of fire. Here is a conversation based on this approach to sharing the faith--I'll use Bob and Larry for illustration purposes.

Bob--Hey Larry, would you say that you're a good person?

Larry--Well sure I am. I try very hard to be good to others, to be respectful.

Bob--Would you say that God thinks you're good enough to go to Heaven?

Larry--Sure! God would let me go to Heaven. He knows I try to be good.

Bob--Well, have you ever heard of the 10 commandments? The Bible says that anyone who has broken one of those commandments will end up in the lake of fire. Have you ever broken a commandment?

Larry-I might have before, but I try not to.

Bob--Have you ever told a lie? A little white lie? Or exaggerated something?

Larry--Yes, but everyone has.

Bob--And people who have told a lie are called?

Larry--Liars....

Bob--Right. And have you ever taken something that wasn't yours? Even something small?

Larry--Yes, I've taken things that weren't mine.

Bob--Well, then you might also be a....

Larry--Thief.

Bob--That's right. Have you ever looked at a woman lustfully? The Bible calls that adulturey

Larry--Yes. I have.

Bob--And do you think that God would let someone who has admitted that they have been a liar, a thief, and an adulterer into Heaven?

Larry--Well, no.

Bob--So, do you think if you were to die and you stood before God, would He let you get into Heaven?

Larry--I want to say yes but I guess He shouldn't.

Bob--It's like this Larry--what if you unknowingly went 50 miles an hour through a school zone while they were holding a convention for blind children and the speed limit was only 15. And a policeman came up to you and said--you've broken all of these laws and even though you did it unintentionally there is a $25,000 fine. The good news is that someone, who you don't know, loved you enough to pay that fine for you. They have saved you from the punishment. Wouldn't that be amazing news?

Larry--That would be!

Bob--In the same way Jesus has paid your debts for you. You have sinned and when Jesus died on the cross He took those bruises for you. All that you have to do to accept payment for your sin-debt is to pray to Jesus. You can ask Him to forgive you for sinning. Read your Bible everyday and learn about God and what pleases Him. If you do these things you can be assured that you can spend eternity in Heaven. Isn't that amazing?

Larry--The Bible makes a little more sense now when I realize that Jesus died because there were sins that needed to be paid for. You've given me a lot to think about.


Well, what do YOU think?

2 comments:

Risha said...

Hmmm...sounds like you've been listening to Kirk Cameron and Ray Comfort in The Way of the Master...

Good stuff! I totally agree. I tend to be like you...be friends, then wait for that door to open. This style of evangelism takes me out of my comfort zone WAY more.

Julie said...

I was a little thrown by the Bob and Larry part about looking lustfully at a woman (since I was thinking Bob and Larry from Veggie Tales and that's just a weird visual), but I totally agree with your post.

I did a bible study a few years ago, and part of it referenced when Jesus gave the Sermon on the Mount, and how we are ALL guilty of breaking the commandments, even if we don't actually physically commit the act (hating one's brother = murder, looking lustfully = adultery, etc.) It was really humbling to know that at one point or another, I'd pretty much broken EVERY SINGLE COMMANDMENT. And I always thought I was a pretty "good" person.

As for evangelism - I actually have an easier time speaking with strangers or people I don't know very well about the Lord than my family and friends who aren't already saved. I'm always a little worried that they won't want to be around me anymore if they think I'm going to be "preachy". Stupid, huh? I need to work on that A LOT! With strangers, it's kind of like, "well, I don't know this person, so if they decide never to speak to me again, what am I losing?"
Realistically, we should all be praying for and speaking to everyone we come in contact with, as well as praying for those we'll never meet, right?