Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Total Recall A.K.A. "Sidewalks: Where Worms Come To Die"

I was outside splashing in puddles with A this morning and couldn't help but think back to my college days in Cedarville Ohio. I don't know if you've ever been to Ohio, but, if you have and stayed there any amount of time you would have learned that it rains there.
A Lot.
All the time.
It's the Seattle of the Midwest.
Or the London of America
of the rain forest of the plains states
or something like that.
It usually rained sideways too.
{This fact has absolutely nothing to do with this story but I just thought I'd share}
Anyways, after a rainstorm I remember that it became difficult to walk through campus because of the worm bodies (and corpses) wriggling furiously all over the sidewalks.
They were everywhere.
I don't know what it is about Cedarville and their abundant worm population but you've never seen worms until you've seen Cedarville worms.
They were always the huge kind too--not the tiny little two inch skinny worms--these were the "looks-like-a-python-ten-feet-long-and-3-inches-round" type of worms.
Some were alive and squirmy
some were dead and smushy
but none of them, none I say, were cute like Slimy from Sesame Street.
And the worst was when you had to hop, skip and jump your way around campus to avoid getting worm guts on your sketchers.
Urgh. Worm guts.
(And what's the deal with worms anyways? Whenever I see them I'm thinking, "Front or Back? Front or back?!? I can't make heads or tails of you!")
When you awoke in the morning you could tell it had rained because you could smell worm carcasses from your window.
But I digress....
So anyways, I was thinking about worms while I was standing in the rain and just had to tell you.
Aren't you glad I've shared?
I think I'll entitle my memoirs, "Sidewalks: Where Worms Come to Die and Other Interesting Oddities."

The End.

3 comments:

Ree said...

There must be lots of birds in Ohio,too, huh? Virtual schmorgasboard (sp?) for them!!

Julie said...

ICK - worms! That story reminds me of when I got my first BRAND NEW bike - it was a sweet red 10-speed Schwinn that I got for my 9th birthday - anyway, the day I got it had been rainy, so by the time I got done riding my bike around the neighborhood, it was covered in worm guts. YUCK.

charmed1 said...

My brother and I used to pick them up and throw them at each other. I tried that once with Dakotah and I think the whole neighborhood heard her scream :)