Tuesday, April 8, 2008

it may be the fact that i've only gotten 5 hours of sleep during the last two days talking but....

i miss home.

yes, i know--i have a home here in the south with my sweet family, surrounded by my husband's loving parents and brothers, my supportive church family and friends and warm weather most of the year...but i miss snowy central new york..well, i don't REALLY miss the snow but i miss everything else...

i miss green grass
stars
purple and fuschia sunsets
1 car = traffic
my brothers
the air
the trees
camping
the sound of crickets and coy dogs
wildflower boquets
cows
and farm smells..hay, silage, poo
ice cream cones so tall they hit the roof of your car
tractors driving 5 mph down the road

i've been here for 7 years now...and i'm so glad i came--these 7 years have been wonderful, but i've gotten to thinking that things will NEVER be the same--even if i were to move home, most of my friends have moved away, my brothers are living in their own homes, my parents are "free spirits" (and rightfully so) and i am a woman with a family--no longer a barefoot bumpkin wandering in the woods.

this usually doesn't bother me but tonight it does.

i know these are the things that make one long for heaven--a home where loved ones will not leave but will be bound together with me in worship of the Savior and that is a good thing.
but tonight, i miss my little piece of heaven on earth--a country house on top of a tall hill, with hilly meadows and forests filled with wildlife and trees, a pond with snakes and turtles, acres of land to roam, quiet living, porch-sitting afternoons, boating on the reservoir, fence posts and childhood memories.

well, even if i can't live it, i feel better for having written it all down.

9 comments:

Ree said...

I get that way every now and again. Although, I grew up(since age 6) in Pine Hill, I lived in Phila., PA Kensington-Fishtown area. Back then it wasn't quite as bad as it is now and I miss those days. But I also miss others in Pine Hill!! And I agree...I could move back in with my dad tomorrow but 2 out of 3 brothers live elsewhere and mom's living with Jesus...so it would never be the same!! Not even close!

Amy said...

We miss you here in N.Y. too. Wish we could see you all more. Of course the boys are always busy but still thinking of you.

Julie said...

You have such a wonderful way with words. Reading that post made ME miss "snowy central New York", and I've never even been there.

Sheri said...

Awww....I hear you!

Sheri said...

Course I haven't lived anywhere for longer than 2-3 years since...I don't know when...so I think I miss pieces of the last 8 places I have lived:) ha ha.....

sarah e. said...

i *love* your new layout... the painting (?) of that girl... love

charmed1 said...

I haven't moved away - I'm still here in snowy CNY. I would love to have you and Sheri move back here. I feel like all of my friends have moved away :( I'd welcome you back with open arms :)

Pamela said...

I happened upon your blog after reading Nate at CF Husband, and clicking, and clicking...sort of a six degrees thing. You are so stinkin' cute and clever and funny! I've enjoyed reading you, and this post made me smile. I live in Western NY, between Rochester and Buffalo, and all of the things on your list are things I love about living where I do.

And I laughed about the smell of poo. Today I was driving down one of those classic NY back roads, past empty fields. On the edge of one of the fields, four spreaders... yes, that sort of spreader... were parked next to each other, tanks overflowing behind them as if they were going to take part in some crazy tractor-drag-racing-poo-spreading event. I had to laugh.

My princess in the back seat was gagging. I had to laugh at that, too.

And about the Junior Asparagus thing. Totally normal. My Mister can tell when there's been too much Veggies in the house because we have stir fry for dinner. Chopping those little happy guys up is cathartic for lots of people.

Madre said...

There is something that happens to the soul on those late...sleepless nights. I often sit at the computer - longing for the hugs of those happy child rearing days...and late night tuck-in talks with my fav' little girl...
I love UUUUU - madre xxx
p.s. come home soon :o)