Thursday, April 1, 2010

In The Spring, Fancy Lightly Turns To Fairy Tales and Delightful Possibilities

"Marilla," she demanded presently, "do you think that I shall ever have a bosom friend in Avonlea?"


"A--a what kind of friend?"



"A bosom friend--an intimate friend, you know--a really kindred spirit to whom I can confide my inmost soul. I've dreamed of meeting her all my life. I never really supposed I would, but so many of my loveliest dreams have come true all at once that perhaps this one will, too. Do you think it's possible?"


"Diana Barry lives over at Orchard Slope and she's about your age. She's a very nice little girl, and perhaps she will be a playmate for you when she comes home. She's visiting her aunt over at Carmody just now. You'll have to be careful how you behave yourself, though. Mrs. Barry is a very particular woman. She won't let Diana play with any little girl who isn't nice and good."




Anne looked at Marilla through the apple blossoms, her eyes aglow with interest.



"What is Diana like? Her hair isn't red, is it? Oh, I hope not. It's bad enough to have red hair myself, but I positively couldn't endure it in a bosom friend."



"Diana is a very pretty little girl. She has black eyes and hair and rosy cheeks. And she is good and smart, which is better than being pretty."



Marilla was as fond of morals as the Duchess in Wonderland, and was firmly convinced that one should be tacked on to every remark made to a child who was being brought up.



But Anne waved the moral inconsequently aside and seized only on the delightful possibilities before it.

2 comments:

Brie Latini said...

Ohhh....my favorite book of all time!

Micayla said...

I have always wanted a bosom friend as well. Thankfully Ryan has seen the movies, and knows what I'm talking about when I say this, or else he'd probably think I was a little weird. haha.