Monday, August 11, 2008

The Granny of the South: A.K.A. Keep reading for the "fun" story below

Mr. Wonderful's mother flew the coop to Florida with his step-dad around the time that he went to college. Southern Granny has only been up a couple of times since Amelie's been around and this was her first visit to see Maeve. I often think, when she comes to visit, what type of Mother-in-law I will be someday and then I say a little prayer for lots of grace when that day comes! But I digress...
Granny was very happy to see her grand-girls and we had a nice visit. We took a few day trips and made the most of our time. Here are a few pictures of her with the girls.


See this "amazing" picture?
You'll never believe how it was taken....

The first night we took Granny out on the town we stopped at the mall and Amelie took a carousel ride. Now, it wasn't one of those HUGE carousels--but a small four horse one for toddlers. The other seats were filled with tiny toddler horse riders and Mr. Wonderful's Mom just had to get a shot--she chased (literally) Amelie around the carousel--knocking into the Dad who was trying to hold on his infant son (a BUNCH of times, not just once) and another Grandmother who was holding her little girl on--knocking over, shoving, chasing Amelie yelling--CHEESE for the few minutes the ride lasted. Apparently this technique didn't produce the pictures she was hoping for so when we put another dollar in she decided to stand on the teeny tiny carousel and hold onto one of the bars to get "the shot." So there she was, going around and around on the Carousel, hanging off the bar--yelling SMILE! and trying to get "the shot." Well, wouldn't you know, standing on a tiny carousel can make you dizzy so she ended up FLYING off the carousel--spinning in the air sound of music style-the hills are alive-(not making this up) and crashing dramatically on the ground. She limped back over--sure she had gotten the pictures she needed, and we walked away as fast as possible so as to avoid many more confounded stares.

Ah....yep, still embarrassing.

12 comments:

Ree said...

That is tooooo funny!!

BluSkies80 said...

you got me laughing over here...funny.

Julie said...

Um, at least she made the most of her visit????

Wow, I can't imagine any of my kids' grandparents doing that. Must have been a funny sight. (Well, I laughed when I READ it, anyway...)

Melody said...

Oh boy.............that is SO something my mother-in-law would do! I can definitely relate!

Pamela said...

I lucked out and won the In-Laws-From-Heaven. The Mister? Not so much. This is totally something my mother would do. I feel your pain.

Ree said...

LOVIN' the NEW LOOK!!! VERY CHIC!!

Sarah - Roots and Wings said...

LOVE your new blog look!

Madre said...

Please promise me that you will NEVER let me act that way in public! :0)

DeeMarie said...

I seriously almost fell off my chair from laughing!
Sometimes, your stories are too crazy to believe.... :)

Shelly said...

oh dawn, if only they WEREN"T true! it pains me that this is the least scary thing she did on her trip =)

DeeMarie said...

I think that's what it makes all the more amusing, because it's honest-to-goodness real stuff!

DeeMarie said...

I think that's what it makes all the more amusing, because it's honest-to-goodness real stuff!