Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Pet Peeve of the Day: I think Dunkin' Donuts needs a translator service

Instead of jogging this morning, I made a "run" to Dunkin' Donuts.
I can never understand a word they say on their speaker thingy as it's all garbled and weird and I just assume they can understand me.
I got to the window and got my correct order but for the life of me, I couldn't understand a word the man was saying! He was telling me something and the price of my purchase and it made absolutely no sense to me--I only had a few dollars so after asking him to repeat himself a couple of times I just handed him all of the money I had.
You should have seen the look on his face--he was so disgusted and annoyed that I couldn't understand whatever language he spoke (it definitely wasn't anything like English) that he could barely contain himself.
Now, don't get me wrong--I can't speak ANY other language--but at least I know that enough not to try! So, please Dunkin' Donuts--I don't mind how many foreign speaking people you hire to make my donuts and coffee but please, please find someone who speaks something as close to English as possible at the window.
That is all.

5 comments:

BluSkies80 said...

Amen Michelle! I'm with you 100%! I may not know another language but I don't even try; everytime we/I go there-usually to get Dan an iced cofee I feel like I'm in another country-"how much?" That's my most asked question. Glad to hear that I'm not the only one!

Ree said...

It's at ALL DDs--UGH!!!

Julie said...

Oh, I SO know what you mean!! That bugs me. Almost as much as calling for customer service and ending up talking to "Sarah" who is probably sitting behind a desk in India somewhere. I know other people besides Americans need work, but come ON! If I can't understand the person I am talking to, how on EARTH can they help me figure out why my internet service is too slow?? Isn't there some other job these people can get in which they can either use their native language or at least not be in direct contact with customers?

(Sorry about the rant...I've just had that stuff happen a LOT)

PS, Thanks for the advice on the potty training video...I'm going to have to go to the library today to see if they have the Elmo one!!

Madre said...

you know that DD is very close to my heart, and in my neck of the woods there is no language barrier, but your BROTHERS would like everyone to know that they drink a large black coffee with extra sugar EVERY day....and almost every day, the lady in Pulaski DD gets it WRONG. (even after she repeats back to him what he has asked for!!!)

charmed1 said...

I'm in total agreement,too. You want to live in this country then learn the language!