Monday, July 7, 2008

Near Death Experience Numero Uno

In my younger years I had a serious sweet tooth-
-the kind of serious sweet tooth that required constant sugar consumption in the specific forms of: pixy stix, fun dip, tootsie rolls, and especially gum of any kind.
{I can't even begin to imagine how much of my hard earned allowance money was spent on candy--it would boggle the mind to know!}
Nothing really killed my love affair with all things sweet until I had to have two root canals
-(and after spending $3000 to fix your teeth--tooth rotting treats lose their appeal)-
Not even my near death experience with gum was enough to assuage my sugary snack intake.
It all happened when I was in the neighborhood of 7 years old and was sporting a major chain-chewing gum problem.
I'm not sure of the exact turn of events but I was chewing a few large pieces of gum and suddenly started to choke!
This was before the days of 911 so my Mom called the doctor and I remember specifically that I was rolling around on the yellow tile floor of our bathroom, unable to breathe, having a panic attack while the nurse instructed my Mom to tell me to,
"Relax."
Um, sure, let me get right on that relaxing thing while I can't breathe...
yeah, GREAT advice!
This was also before the days of the Heimlich maneuver so I was in a heap of trouble!
So, I continued to roll around on the ground unable to breathe while my Mom continued to stay on the phone
(you know, the ones with the 20 foot long cord b/c it was before cordless phones)
saying, "Just relax Michelle. Just relax."
And then, I don't know what happened, but probably my guardian angel knocked that gum loose and miraculously I was able to breathe again.
Or maybe it was the thrashing, it definitely wasn't because I "relaxed" in any way
--but whatever it was, I'm thankful it happened and that I'm here to tell you about it today.

I'm also seriously thankful that my eulogy didn't include anything about a girl choking to death on Hubba Bubba.
Because that's just plain embarrassing.
Well, now you know about the first time I almost saw the light =)

3 comments:

charmed1 said...

Something along those lines happened to my brother and I. I choked on a piece of hard candy and my brother on a piece of a hot dog. Who needs 911 or the dr when you have an uncle that's 6'4" and 300+ lbs that can pick you up and pound on your back until you spit out whatever it is your choking on :)

maybe we should start a support group? :)

Shelly said...

ha!

oh, and my brother choked on hot dog too--luckily it was after my dad learned the heimlich =)

Madre said...

your momma choked on a piece of a plastic whistle which lodged in my throat. gramma rammed her finger down my throat and out came the piece of plastic (along with the contents of lunch) yuk and whew - all in one moment !