Tuesday, January 6, 2009

A Rookie Mistake Alternately Titled: When Good Coffee Goes Bad

I learned something new and distressing today.
(Isn't learning something new everyday supposed to keep you young or something? )
Anyway...after staying up a little later than I normally do last night
(totally worth it for a girl's night though!!)
and waking up earlier than I normally do
(the early. morning. baby.)
I awoke in desperate need of a caffeine jolt
I walked eagerly to my special bag of lovely, delightful, delicious mocha coffee beans
(gifted me by my coffee connoisseur mother in law)
and took a deep whiff of the bag to awaken my nostrils with the lovely, delightful, delicious mocha coffee bean scent
When I smelled...something...um...weird
gross even.
Apparently
(and why nobody ever told me this, I'll never know--probably b/c I've never asked and everyone else already knows this)
coffee beans go bad.
In case you missed that--
COFFEE BEANS GO BAD!
Do not save your delightful and delicious coffee beans, hoping to savor them and stretch them out as long as possible--brew them up immediately upon gifting!
Do I Say!
Brew Away!
Luckily I do have a coffee type substance in my cupboard
(umm...Folgers...yeah...the best part of waking up is definitely not Folgers in your cup...just sayin')
I didn't learn this lesson sooner in life because I am what is referred to as, a coffee lightweight.
My parents did not drink coffee and neither does my husband so, as you can see, I've just never had the proper training.
To protect yourself from such horrendous and horrible circumstance educate yourselves!
For my edification, and yours, here's a list of coffee mistakes, so that, you know--this never happens again to anyone.
ever.
again.
the end.

6 comments:

Julie said...

Huh. You DO learn something new every day! And yes, I feel younger now! LOL

That stinks! I'm bummed for you that your coffee beans went bad. There are few things that are more disappointing than SO looking forward to a little treat for yourself, and finding it either:

A)gone
B)spoiled
or C)not as good as you remembered it.

Hope your future caffeine adventures are a bit more satisfying!

Sarah - Roots and Wings said...

I don't drink the foul stuff myself, but I know my dad keeps coffee beans in the freezer. Just a thought for next time! ;)

Pamela said...

Some of life's most important lessons are learned the hard way.

I am grieving for your loss, and that you have to drink folgers. Meh.

Devin said...

And, yet again, another reason to love your blog.

In.for.mational.

Did NOT know that.

Not a coffee drinker, per say--I would be a feather-weight in that area--but I love me some good ol' Sams cappuccino.

In fact...

I'm cold right now, and I think I shall go fix myself a cup.

Mmmmm. Yum yum yum. That stuff doensn't sit in my cabinet long enough to go bad, I'm afraid....

SarahV said...

oh stink! i've had that happen too. it's not a very fun discovery.

Anonymous said...

That rots... literally! I do know you can keep them in the freezer to prolong them... I'm the only coffee drinker in this household and I can never go through them fast enough...