Thursday, November 13, 2008

Lowered Expectations

I'm counting down the days until *Saturday*
Ah! That magical day when my husband will be all mine again (for a few weeks anyway) and we're getting our Christmas picture taken and I'm going out ALONE Christmas shopping!


Woot!


I've been perusing the ads to see what the heck I'm going to get my girls this year and have become increasingly disappointed with "traditional" toy stores.


(Remember this one here?)


Want to see the latest atrocity I've found?
Meet the muy disgust-o "Baby Bratz"

Now, I'm not a fan of the average Bratz dolls because I would never call my daughter a Brat no less give her leave to play with a toy of the same name.

I've always thought they looked to much like "women of the night" for toddlers (or anyone) to play with.

And now this.

Sexy little *BABY* dolls? Who is the sicko coming up with this stuff? I think it's absolutely reprehensible to market toys like this.

So..I may not know exactly what I'm buying this Christmas but I know what I won't be!

Learning store--here I come!

13 comments:

Sarah - Roots and Wings said...

Absolutely unbelievable and disgusting! I LOVE LOVE gifts from the learning store - you know that speaks to the teacher in us! =)

Melody said...

That's repulsive! The sad thing is, there are parents who will actually buy those for their precious little babes : (

Pamela said...

Do you know of the Melissa and Doug toys? Pure brilliance, I tell you!

Julie said...

I won't let any item that even has the word "Bratz" on it come into our house. I just noticed, too, that in that picture it looks like the creepy disembodied duck(??) heads also sport a halo (on the left) and horns (on the right). NICE

I wish they would just take those hideous things off the market.

I like educational toys, too. And the old-fashioned stuff like rocking horses and tea sets!

THE CHRISTENSEN CHRONICLE said...

I haven't heard of the learning store before. I have a bunch of nieces and nephews & they are getting a big craft basket that includes crafty things so they can use their imagination and get crafty...I am pretty excited too, maybe I will keep one for myself.

Shelly said...

ooo--i LOVE melissa and doug toys--i have my eye on their slice and bake cookie set for amelie for christmas. i have a bunch of 50% off coupons to use at ACMOORE (where they stock those toys) and can't wait to use them!

charmed1 said...

No surprise that I'm the odd one of the group. My girls love Bratz dolls and have a ton of them - including the big Bratz dolls. I don't see them as trashy or disgusting - they're dolls. But we all have our opinions don't we? :)

Anonymous said...

um, Bratz dolls wear thong underwear...very distasteful toys for little girls of any age.

A Repletion of Reverie said...

Whatever happened to Creepy Crawlers and the Easy Bake Oven??

Anonymous said...

R, they still make those - Hada had one at one time.

JerseyGranny said...

I had an Easy Bake Oven when I was in grade school! Had Creepy Crawlers, too.

Classic, wholesome toys can be found; they're just not the norm anymore. Sadly.

SarahV said...

i'm glad i don't have to worry about scantily clad pirates and skanky dinosaurs!!!

i hope you find lots of fun/learning toys :)

Devin said...

Vile. Just vile. I can't imagine seeing that as something good for your children to play with. Seriously, who is coming up with these things?