Monday, October 6, 2008

The Lies Women Believe

When I saw the books our church was going to use for our upcoming Bible study I cringed.
I'm not a big fan of Nancy Leigh De Moss--
(if you think I'm extra conservative she's ultra conservative)
She's written more than a few things I really disagree with-
-however, we believe all the same really important stuff,
so I decided to forget about it and focus on the good stuff.
and I am so glad that I did!
The gist of the book is replacing the lies of this world with truth from God's word.
One of the chapters that really hit home discussed some of the lies in particular that we live as though we believe that God isn't enough for us--
for example--
something I struggle with a lot is contentedness, mostly in the area of our vehicles--
You see, my husband and I both have extremely old, ugly, small cars
(well, I think 12 and 13 years old is extremely old for a car =)
I had such a bad attitude every time I try to smush my car seats, and my strollers, and the laundry and the groceries in the car--
the knobs fall off when i switch the heat settings
we just had to spend hundreds replacing the tires and fixing the alignment
the door handle broke off
the locks don't work
and it makes
me
mad.
Seriously? God has given me so much--why do I feel as though I need a new car to be happy? I have never lived my life as though having God was enough-
-I"ve always wanted more-
-a husband, children, career, education etc..
when I need to learn to live contentedly and as if God really IS enough for me.
It's gonna take me a while to work on that one...but I am working...
and my car isn't that bad...
it gets good gas mileage, is FREE, and dependable
Although, I will admit that I cringed a little a lot when the man who changed my tires said,
"Oh yeah, this is a good car--it should last you another 100,000 miles (read 8 more years). "
Awesome.

2 comments:

Madre said...

I will never forget how padre's eyes lit up when the green machine was driven into the Toyota Dealership.(all the time I was cringing inside, when he said that it should be MY next CAR! YIKES!
Anyways, you know the rest of the story, and I truly pray that the green machine will safely carry your precious little family along, until HE brings the next vehicle your way :o)

Devin said...

I read that book too, for a Bible study, and loved it. In fact, you just may have inspired me to do a re-read....

Thanks for this reminder!