Thursday, October 23, 2008

The Lies Women Believe...About Children AND Shelly's Ramblings About Her Beliefs

I think it's really really interesting that NLD has written a Bible study which includes chapters on having a Christian Marriage and Raising Children in the faith when the author is single...
She has an excellently logical perspective on married relationships and child-bearing but logic and knowledge of the heart are two different things.
In her chapter on children she discusses hot topics like birth control (she's again' it)
raising your children in the faith (she's against Barbie dolls too and public school and media)
not assuming your children love Jesus just because they say they do (here here!)
I've always been of the mindset that God is the one who determines the size of our families and that no amount of, or lack of, birth control will change the predestined size of your family.
The conservative side of my heart is totally against birth control however the logical side of my heart is for it since:
a: you can only fit so many children in an apartment or a four door car
b: you ought to be able to afford to feed and clothe the children you do have
**Balancing faith and stewardship--where does one end and the other begin?**
I haven't a clue.
I've also been increasingly convicted over the last year about the television.
I love tv!
Growing up it was my best friend and constant companion and still, it remains a love of mine.
But...when I think about the stuff on tv--the stuff I love, I have a hard time fitting it into the category of "Things That Bring Glory To God"
I've cut way back on my watching but I'd love to chuck it right out of the house but, my sweet husband wouldn't love that or me for doing it, so for now, it stays and the conviction nags on.
I know, you can just keep it off right? Easier said than done my friend!
As for whether or not Christians should put their children in public school (so as to be a light), Christian school (to see their faith in every subject) or home school (to be raised in the way that they should go) I can see the validity of each method.
I went to each type of school and really enjoyed each one.
As for me and my house? I'm leaning towards elementary homeschooling and high school Christian schooling...but that's a few years off and I'm still thinkin' on things.
I think the most valuable part of the chapter, for me, was the section on not assuming your children will rebel along with not assuming your children are Christians b/c they prayed the sinners prayer at a young age.
I've seen so many people with rebellious children say,
"Well, once upon a time my child prayed to the Lord so they must be saved even though they are in a long standing pattern of rebellion."
Do Christians rebel? Sure do!
This one did (although more inwardly as opposed to outwardly).
But in a Christian there should be evidence of the hand of God in their lives
--the fruits of the Spirit--
a desire to bring honor to God.
I pray with all of my heart that my sweet girls choose to serve the Lord--not just because it's the lifestyle of our family but because the Lord has moved their hearts to love Him.
I'm so thankful to be a part of Ladies Bible Study this year.
I wish I had done it sooner but I'm more of a "stayathomeandhide" type than a "getoutandupandgotype"
Glory be to God for slowly and painfully bringing me out of my Shelly shell and into the mix a little bit more.
Now, off to do the important things--like the eat the loaf of bread I just made, continue working on a new blog background and take a nap =)

5 comments:

Julie said...

I have often wondered how exactly someone who is single and childless could write and/or speak on marriage and family. Then again, I know married parents who I would never want to take advice from....just a thought.

The TV is kind of a hard thing to give up, but if you can talk Mr. Wonderful into getting rid of it, you will be surprised at how much you won't miss it. We gave our TV up nearly 2 years ago (December 2006), and I really don't miss it. I had shows that I liked to watch, but like you, I would say that many of them were not bringing honor to God, but more "time wasters" for me.

Now, we aren't completely in the stone age here - we have a projector and screen that we have hooked up to our DVD player, so we can watch movies, and that totally helps us to be more selective in what we watch (except for the "The Happening" incident...)

I have a similar dilema as you with regards to school, too. I went solely to public school, but my husband went to Christian school until 8th grade, then he went to public high school. Our older children all attend public school. Ande would like me to homeschool our two youngest, but I'm leaning more toward Christian school. I like the idea of the social aspect of it - we don't get out much, and most of my friends do not have children Puckey and Jib's ages, so it's tough for them to make friends.

I'm sure you know this, but I'll reiterate it - there is power in prayer, and God will tell you what you need to know, if you just listen.

Now that I've written a short book, I guess I'll conclude with the fact that I am "for" some forms of birth control, mainly for similar logical reasons you mentioned (and the fact that I nearly died after having #2 and before having #4).

Melody said...

I too just joined a bible study at our church for the first time and am thoroughly enjoying it. We are doing Beth's Moore's "Stepping Up". Great study. I also tend toward being a hermit. It is good to get out, but I think balance is important too : )

Melody said...

I too just joined a bible study at our church for the first time and am thoroughly enjoying it. We are doing Beth's Moore's "Stepping Up". Great study. I also tend toward being a hermit. It is good to get out, but I think balance is important too : )

Sandy said...

I have wanted to read that book as well and also struggle along with you with DeMoss's opinions. Are her opinions based on Scripture? I am assuming that she would have to. It can get dangerous when our opinions overtake God's explicit word.
I have been a homeschool mom for that last five years. It has worked well for our family. My oldest takes one class as as freshman this year. We had originally thought to put our kids in full time in HS, but God has led in other ways.
BTW your new background is fun.

Devin said...

May I just encourage you on the TV thing for a moment?

Two years ago, when we moved to our new house (which needed TONS of work) we decided that we would hook up our cable "when we weren't so busy anymore."

It's two years+ later...and still, we don't have TV. And, it has been one of the best things we ever did.

I think this is something that is specifically hard for men, but it's not like just because you don't have cable you can never watch anything. We still watch movies, and almost every single show on primetime cable is available to watch on the internet--ABC.com, Fox.com, etc. They're all there--and you can watch when you want to, with no commercials. My hubby and I find it far superior to watching regular TV like we did in 'the old days.'

But, I won't lie....

....there are days when I just die inside from not being able to watch the food network from like, 1 p.m. to 6 p.m. :-)