Friday, October 17, 2008

Unlucky 13

13 years ago I was pulled over in front of my high school for going 5 mph over the speed limit.
I was handed a ticket in front of my friends and foes and have driven like a nun ever since.
Fast forward to today.
I was leaving a fabulous little birthday party with two crying babies in the back seat.
I was driving in an unfamiliar area.
I thought my turn was approaching so I moved into the left turn lane and promptly after turning left was pulled over by a police officer.
It seems I entered the turn lane too soon.
I was sure when he saw my screaming babies, my SPOTLESS driving record
(that spot 13 years ago was reduced to a non-moving violation, so I was spot free until today), and the fact that I was lost-ish that he would give me a warning.
Instead he stood in front of my car picking leaves off of my grill for 5 minutes.
Walked to his car.
Wrote me a ticket.
Handed me a ticket.
Bid me adieu and sent me off to "drive safely."
Way to go NJ--Excellent job keeping the career hardened criminals off the streets or at least, terrified behind the wheel and determined never to drive again.
I feel that it must have happened for "a reason"
(you know, aside from me inadvertantly breaking the law and all=)
there were just too many weird variables for me to think otherwise
(we were going to leave the party 10 minutes earlier but then Amelie caught wind of a pinata and it was all down hill from there AND being pulled over for the lamest reason ever--at least get me when I'm a speed racer!).
When I figure out what the reason/lesson was I'll let you know.
'Cause I'm dependable like that.
{And a little bit more humble because of the experience}
Peace and just say no to left turns!

6 comments:

BluSkies80 said...

=( i can't believe that he actually gave you a ticket with two crying toddler! so what exactly was the ticket for? pulling over too soon?

Devin said...

I wonder if you had joined the girls with sobbing tears, if he still would have given you a ticket then?

Worth a try, IF there ever is a next time. Tears have done wonders for me, the two times I have been pulled over in my life (and they were sincere--I was terrified!)

Oh, how I hate the sight of those flashing lights....

charmed1 said...

And I thought New York cops were jerks. I remember my hubby getting pulled over one time for no seat belt and it was right across the street from where he worked. When the cop came up and told him why he pulled him over I lit into my hubby. No ticket from the cop - guess he thought I was punishment enough :)

And for the record - I would have told that cop off. Jerk!

Sheri said...

So I am still confused what was the ticket for- did you turn Left on red? So sorry- tickets stink especially when you didn't really do anything wrong! Gotta love city cops!

Shelly said...

my wheel crossed the yellow line while i was turning left--therfore the ticket. def. an inadvertant oops. such is life!

JerseyGranny said...

This is absolutely ridiculous. I just shared the news with Pop Pop and can't repeat what he thought of it!